Sunday, May 5, 2013

Birds, a Squirrel, and a Coyote

I am seeing more and more young birds everywhere.  Yesterday I saw a young black phoebe making little cheep noises on a telephone wire.  I think it was calling for its parents.  It could fly a little, but was a bit clumsy.  Below is its picture.  Unlike adults, who have black beaks, the young have yellow beaks.
Black Phoebe

Below is a beautiful adult male hooded oriole.  There are tons of them everywhere.
Hooded Oriole

Below is a male Anna's hummingbird hovering over a flower.
Anna's Hummingbird

Yesterday I posted a photo of only part of the house finch family.  Below is a picture of the whole family; mother, father, and three chicks.  The mother is in the top left corner and the father is in the bottom right corner.
House Finches

Besides birds, there has been a California ground squirrel returning to the same spot in my neighbor's backyard every day.  It just sits out on the concrete and chips.  I'm not sure why it likes that yard, because there is no grass anywhere; just concrete.  Below is a picture of it.
California Ground Squirrel

Today my family also saw a very large coyote in the field across the street from my house.  It was a pretty nice, healthy-looking coyote.  It kept running away when I took my camera out, but fortunately I was able to get one good photo.  Below is the picture.
Coyote

No comments:

Post a Comment