Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Six Lovely Birds

Yesterday and today, I've seen a lot of birds.  However, I still haven't seen or heard the hermit thrushes, and I'm a little worried that they've left.

I'll be going back to school tomorrow, because today is the last day of winter break, so I probably won't be posting as often as I've been doing.

For today's post, I'll just share some photos of the birds I've seen.  Below is another orange-crowned warbler.
Orange-crowned Warbler


Here is a black phoebe, a common flycatcher near water (occasionally they even catch little fish off the surface of the water!)  However, they're also common in other habitats, like this one.
Black Phoebe


Below, a western scrub-jay, the most common jay in my area.
Western Scrub-jay


Here, a northern mockingbird.  Mockingbirds sing long songs made up of whatever sounds they'd heard as a chick, be it birdsongs, car alarms, or howling coyotes.
Northern Mockingbird


Below, a turkey vulture, the only vulture in my area and the larger of the two species of vulture in the United States.
Turkey Vulture

Here, a Bewick's Wren, a common wren in the Southwest of the United States.  They are pretty fearless little birds, and frequently come right up to people.  They're also very loud and musical.

Bewick's Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment