Friday, January 4, 2013

Some Advice and the Hermit Thrush

Today's been an exciting day, and it's only a little after noon!  I saw more birds in my yard this morning than I've ever seen in my yard before!  In the time between 8:30 and 9:30, I saw twenty different species.  I'll post the list tomorrow.


Advice
 
If there is a bird in the bushes, or if you want a bird to come closer, if you make a 'pst' noise, as though you're whispering to someone, it will get the bird's attention, and occasionally they come to investigate.  It works best if you do it quick, high-pitched, and frequently- 'pst-pst-pst.'
 
Birds are very curious creatures, so if you make almost any little whispering, whistling, or squeaky noises, a bird is likely to come see what's making the noise.  I've tried many little noises, and so far, the ones birds seem most interested in are 'pst' and 'psh' noises.  I've found that those two noises can get the attention of thrushes, finches, warblers, hummingbirds, wrens, and towhees, but is likely to attract the attention of other birds as well.  However, be warned:  Doing it in public might attract the attention of more than just birds.  Just don't be surprised if some people give you an odd look.
 
Using a recorded bird song to attract birds does work.  I've seen it work with finches, thrushes, and some others so far.  However, this way isn't as good a way as making little random noises because it disturbs the birds.  They seem to find it disturbing that they hear other birds but can't see them.  So if you're going to use a recording, only use it occasionally.  Playing it once or twice is alright, but after that, it starts to bother them.
 
 
Yesterday, I discovered a bird I'd never before seen in my yard: a hermit thrush.  There were two of them, and they were very shy.  I saw them again today.  Hermit thrushes are very pretty little birds with brown heads and backs, reddish-brown tails, and spotted chests.  They winter in the southern United States and Mexico, and summer in the North.  They're related to bluebirds and robins; they're all thrushes.  With the use of 'pst' noises and a recording, I was able to get one close enough for a photo.
 
Hermit Thrush
 

No comments:

Post a Comment